6 tbsp vegetable oil
1 lemon, halved
1 pack fresh rosemary
salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 220C/425F/gas mark 7. Remove the giblets from the turkey. Rub oil on the outside of the bird and season well.
2. Place the butter, lemon and whole herbs in the cavity. Cook the bird breast-side down for 15 minutes, and then turn the oven down to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. Cook for 3 1/2 hours, turning bird the right side up after 2 hours.
3. Test the turkey with a skewer in the leg joint. If blood comes out, give it another 20 minutes. If clear juices run out, it's cooked. Remove from the pan, wrap in foil and rest for 20 minutes while you make your gravy.
turkey neck and giblets
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 stick celery, chopped
2 bay leaves few sprigs fresh thyme
3 tbsp plain flour
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the turkey neck and giblets in a saucepan with the vegetables, herbs and 600ml cold water. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Drain and reserve.
2. To make the gravy, pour 3 tbsp fatty juices from the turkey roasting tin into a pan and stir in the flour. Cook, stirring, for about 1-2 minutes until lightly browned.
3. Pour in the giblet stock and 150ml turkey juices (or wine) and bring to the boil, stirring. Add a llittle gravy browning, season to taste and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.